Thursday 15 September 2016

Book Review - My Husband's Wife by Amanda Prowse

Amazon UK
Title: My Husband's Wife
Author: Amanda Prowse
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Head of Zeus
Publication Date: 14th July 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


Once a week, Rosie Tipcott counts her blessings.

She goes to sit on her favourite bench on the north Devon cliffs, and thanks her lucky stars for her wonderful husband, her mischievous young daughters, and her neat little house by the sea. She vows to dedicate every waking hour to making her family happy.

But then her husband unexpectedly leaves her for another woman and takes the children. Now she must ask the question: what is left in her life? Can Rosie find the strength to rebuild herself? More importantly, does she even want to?

I'm sitting here in disbelief at how one author can make a reader experience a whole gamut of emotions, in just one cleverly crafted novel. I've gone from laughter, to anger, to disbelief at some of the decisions made, to almost being in tears due to my depth of feelings for the family at the centre of the book, back to laughter. I have gone full circle, as has this book, which deals with the aftermath of one man walking out on his family. 

I had purposely waiting until I knew I had a day without distraction in order to read  My Husband's Wife, purely as I know from experience just how gripping Amanda Prowse's books can be. She is a natural born storyteller, just telling the story of a reasonably ordinary family, but in such a way that you feel as though you know them. So their highs are your highs, and their lows are your lows. 

At no point did the story go where I may have expected it to, which made it even more of a pleasure to read. I like things not to be utterly predictable.  There is a lot of depth in this book, dealing with growing up without a mother, depression, adultery and what really is best for your children. 

I was so absorbed in the writing, that I devoured this book on a day off in a manner of hours. If you take nothing else from this review, take this - make sure you can read the book, or as much of it as possible in one sitting. Free up some time and you won't be disappointed. 

My Husband's Wife is yet another superb book from Amanda Prowse, and yet again its an honour to have been able to read it. 

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Head of Zeus for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...