Saturday 22 October 2016

Book Review - Dying for Christmas by Tammy Cohen - Back Catalogue Books



Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 

I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it! 

This week I am reviewing a book that was on my Christmas books spreadsheet, which despite having Christmas in the title, is as far removed from the other festive books on my blog as you will get.
Amazon UK
Title: Dying for Christmas
Author: Tammy Cohen
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Transworld Digital
Publication Date: 20th November 2014
Rating: 5 Stars


I am missing. Held captive by a blue-eyed stranger. To mark the twelve days of Christmas, he gives me a gift every day, each more horrible than the last. The twelfth day is getting closer. After that, there’ll be no more Christmas cheer for me. No mince pies, no carols. No way out …

But I have a secret. No-one has guessed it. Will you?

Honestly have no idea how to review this book, I can't say too much about the plot, or the secret hinted at in the blurb as there is far too big a risk of spoilers. 

What I am willing to say is that I have just read about some of the most sick and twisted characters, I've seen yet, in a plot that is fascinating, and utterly gripping. I was racing through the pages both in shock at what was happening, and then later just what the big reveals were. 

The writing is in a way fairly intense, and the way the book has been written, keeps you guessing at all times. One of the hooks are the 12 presents that are given, one for each of the 12 days of Christmas, to the captive complete with the fragments of character history that are revealed with each gift. 

I found myself practically gasping at some of what was occurring in the story, and I loved how at all times we  had two points of view One of the horrific twelve days of Christmas as it played out, and also of the the policewoman, who has a young family, and but is determined to do everything she can to further her career, and is convinced the case of this missing woman, Jessica Gold will do just that. 

Dying for Christmas is clearly the work of someone with a fairly twisted mind, but who thankfully can write amazing books. I was hooked for the whole book and read it in 3 sittings, within a day. Incredibly good writing, description but most of all characterization which were so realistic, and everything was very cleverly portrayed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...