Saturday 11 March 2017

Book Review - Head Over Heels by Holly Smale - Back Catalogue Books



Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 


I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it!

I'm so excited that Forever Geek, book 6 of this series is just out, its occurred to me I really should read book 5 first, so that I'm up to date! So here is a review of Head Over Heels. 

Amazon UK
Title: Head Over Heels (Geek Girl Book 5)
Author: Holly Smale
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Harper Collins Childrens Books
Publication Date: 7th April 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


Harriet Manners knows almost every fact there is.

She knows duck-billed platypuses don’t have stomachs.
She knows that fourteen squirrels were once detained as spies.
She knows that both chess and snakes and ladders were invented in the same country.

And for once, Harriet knows exactly how her life should go. She’s got it ALL planned out. So her friends seem less than happy, Harriet is determined to Make Things Happen!
If only everyone else would stick to the script…

But is following the rules going to break hearts for GEEK GIRL?

*Stands up straight and says* "
 Hi, my name is Rachel, I'm in my thirties, and I am a Geek Girl addict" 

Yes I absolutely love this series, and I'm not ashamed to admit it, and Head Over Heels, is no exception, in fact I think they get better and better each book, as the story progresses. As a result I am not the person to tell you if this can be read as a standalone, as frankly it is one of the few series that I feel right at home with the second I start the next book, so can't even work it out from my normally forgetful brain! 

I will say as a book in a series, this works, and I loved the development that Harriet goes through in this iteration, and the lessons she is gearing up to realise towards the end.  I loved her determination to be a good model this time around, and for completely selfless reasons. 

As fans of the series will know Harriet Manners has a habit of slotting random facts into just about every conversation she has, and she is still at it. These range from the interesting to the obscure, but clearly Holly Smale must enjoy researching this element of her character. I really enjoy reading the facts, as they are such an integral characteristic of Harriet. 

As is her need to try and make sure everyone she knows is happy, and comes up with the most elaborate plans to ensure it. Her friendship group has grown and Team JINTH is now a thing, and means Harriet like a lot of teenagers (and to be fair a lot of adults) is continually on her phone messaging people.  

I love Harriet's friends, they are a mixed bunch but all have certain skills to offer our well meaning main character.  

Head Over Heels kept me entertained for the few short hours it took for me to read it, let me enjoy a brand new country in an epic modelling shoot, as well as another modelling shoot that was memorable for other reasons. I have learnt even more about how to try to deceive my parents, with well thought out plans, while enjoying Harriet's rather awkward social interactions with everyone.  This is another fabulous addition to this series. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...