Saturday 25 March 2017

Book Review - Promises to Keep by Patricia Sands - Back Catalogue Books



Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 


I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it!

This is the second book in the Love in Provence series, which I have been looking forward to reading since finishing the first book! 

Amazon UK
Title: Promises to Keep
Author: Patricia Sands
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied copy
Publisher: Lake Union Publishing 
Publication Date: 13th October 2015
Rating: 4.5 Stars


The painful memories from her life back in Toronto will never be distant enough, but Katherine Price finds peace under the autumn sky in the South of France…and a deepening, dizzying love with Philippe. Together, they savor the delicacies and splendor of life, toasting to a future filled with happiness and hope—a life far away from the heartache they both knew so well.

But during a trip to the medieval village of Entrevaux, a strange note turns into a dangerous car chase. Philippe reveals he has a troubling secret—and the couple’s new life together threatens to crumble before it can begin. Now that Katherine has everything she’s ever wanted, is she about to lose it all?

Promises to Keep is the heartfelt second addition to award-winning author Patricia Sands’s Love in Provence trilogy—and a stirring reminder that it’s never too late to be joyfully surprised by love, life, or even yourself.

I'm reeling from the way this book has ended, to the extent that I know I need to read the last book in this trilogy sooner rather than later, as I need to know how the story continues...yes the book has arguably ended on a big cliffhanger, which is not my preferred ending, but in this instance instead of completely annoying me as it should do, my only thought is wow, didn't see that coming and I need to find time to read I Promise You This!

Well before you actually get to the ending there is of course a whole story to be told, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It builds on the characters you have come to know from The Promise of Provence, and develops them further. As a result I found this to be quite an easy read in those regards, as I was familiar with the setting and characters as it began.  I am so hooked on the series, I can't really take the step back and comment on whether it works as a standalone. 

We learn a lot more about Philippe in this book, as we discover just what it is he is hiding from Katherine. The book focuses on that plot for the majority of the book, and I still have some questions that could be answered, but on the whole it was a surprising turn of events, and had me on the edge of my seat at times. 

Katherine and Philippe, explore some more of the surrounding area in Provence, and yet again the descriptions of the local villages, the history of the places comes alive, and I can see everything very well in my minds eye, just from the writing I feel as though I was transported to Provence, and was in the pages of the book, experiencing everything for myself. 

There were descriptions, for example of Olives, the various types and just what a tapenade is, and I was surprised to find my mouther watering, and the thought that I may want to try an olive, despite being a notoriously fussy eater with no real desire to eat olives! 

As a fan of the series, I found this was a joy of a book to read, I was thoroughly entertained throughout and would love to hope on a plane to Provence this second, to experience everything that Katherine has for myself.  I think that anyone with an interest in the South of France, France, romance, books set abroad or generally appreciates vivid descriptions would enjoy this book. 

Thank you so much to Patricia Sands for this copy of the book which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to read and review, Rachel. I know how incredibly busy you are. I'm glad you don't hate me for the cliff-hanger ending! I didn't plan it that way but I knew if I didn't stop there, I would have to go on and on. Better to take it to Book #3. Most readers had the same reaction as you and, in all the reviews, only one reader berated me! Bon weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...